Friday 1 June 2012

Emily and Sam


It was a dull grey noon,
There was no noise around.
I was waiting,
Lying underneath the oak tree,
Beside the white-washed fence,
For you, Emily,
Just to see you.
A distant white figure
Told me you had come.
I could smell you
And hear your footsteps
As you came nearer.
Now I could see you, yes!
You were standing very close.
Finally that moment had come.
I’ve been waiting for so long
Just to see you again,
Let me fill my eyes
With your light.
From nowhere,
A soft wind comes
And gently blows your hair,
I can see your face,
Still so young,
Still so beautiful,
So heavenly unstained.
I want to get close,
But fear I might lose you.
My unholy touch,
My devil hands,
May grip you tightly,
You may never be able
To break away from me,
From my heart, my life,
And I don’t want that.
I don’t want us together,
Even though we are inseparable,
I don’t want you so close.
I'll watch you from a distance,
I only want you to live happily,
I want you to forget about me,
I wish you find love again.
I will pray to God every time,
That you may always smile,
Be happy,
Forget the past,
And all that we did together.
From this instant onwards,
I tear all our strings of joy,
That defined ‘Us’.
Now it’s only ‘You’ and ‘Me’,
Not ‘Us’.
I want you to remain like this,
Pure, saintly, like an angel,
Purging everyone you meet,
Just like the rain
Washes away the dirt,
And the Earth breathes new life.
Look Emily, it’s raining!
Just when I wanted it most!
Wait! Is that your tear?
Are you crying?
But why?
Why do you cry?
Why do you kneel down
And cry beside me like this?
And who are all these people,
Dressed in black like Death?
Stop crying dear,
I beg you not to.
Is that the same rose I gave you
When we first met?
Only the colour is black,
Black like Death.
Wait, I must be wrong,
It must be red,
But even your tears
Cannot wash its dirt away......
The time has come,
The priest has read the prayers
And the men slowly lower me,
To where I would return,
From where I came,
Goodbye Emily, goodbye!
God bless you!
I know you will come again,
The same day every year,
To give flowers and prayers,
Flowers from those hands
That once touched me,
Prayers from those lips
That once kissed me.
And I will eagerly wait
For that day,
Every year,
Just to hear your soft voice,
And to see that angel face,
Still so young,
Still so beautiful,
I would eagerly wait
For that day,
Until you’ll come no more,
Or come to be with me forever.
I promise to love you,
Just like I once loved you,
Till time ends.
Please come back soon,
I would love to hear your voice,
Calling me by my name,
“Sam, Sam.....Sam....”.....
“Sam wake up,
Wake up Sam!”
“Huh!” I woke up.
My eyes felt sore,
My head was spinning,
I was totally confused.
There was no one there.
Who was calling me?
I slowly opened my eyes.
A faint light came in.
After what seemed like eternity,
My vision became clear.
Yes, I could see the oak tree,
The same white-washed fence,
That same ground,
The same rain-drenched sky,
With the same grey hue.
Am I in heaven?
I felt myself.
Then it slowly dawned on me,
I turned around suddenly
And looked down,
There on the ground lay her grave,
Just as it was,
Two days before,
On her funeral,
Only the roses had dried.
All my questions,
That I had been asking,
For two days,
Standing here,
In front of her grave,
Were answered.
“Why did you leave me?”
“Where did you go?”
“How will I live without you?”
“What will become of me now?”
All my questions,
Answered.
On seeing her grave,
Her resting stone,
On which were written,
A few words,
Some lines,
Like gold in grey,
She had chosen them herself......

“Absence is to LOVE
What wind is to fire
It extinguishes the small
...... And inflames the great”.

No comments: